Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mary and Martha

As a single woman who loves to entertain, I am often overwhelmed by what it takes to do it all. Most days I struggle to find a balance between checking my to-do list and getting to the things that I actually enjoy. I do know that somewhere in the midst of mopping the kitchen floor and filling drinks, there is room to enjoy and rest. Which brings me to the story of Mary and Martha from the Bible:

"As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught.

But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”

But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”

(Luke 10:38-42, New Living Translation)

If you are anything like me, you are probably thinking, "But someone has to do the work"! I don't believe Jesus was implying that we shouldn't put in the effort to be good hostesses. Another version of the last verse reads that "Mary has chosen the better thing", which was to sit at the feet of Jesus and share her heart and time with him. I am sure that our human guests would appreciate the same attention.

True hospitality, as I am learning, is about creating a healing and restful atmosphere for those who enter into our space. A place where others feel safe, where they can feel special whether it's in our homes or in our presence. It's about finding the Marys in the Marthas while developing the merry Marthas in all of us.









2 comments: