Friday, May 14, 2010

Gifts for gracious hosts, Part 1.



Alice Blue Candles are LOVE. Wine is a classic gift.




I spend a lot of time thinking about ways to up my cool hostess factor, but today a conversation with my friend got me thinking about the importance of being a gracious guest as well.


Liz is currently travelling around the east coast of the US staying with various friends, so ahe asked me for ideas on what to give as thank you presents. After a two-second pause, I started bombarding our chat window with suggestions ranging from soap to elaborate baskets. I admit, I do get carried away.


It is always good to find out about your host's preferences and special needs before making a purchase. While bringing a jar of the most delicious jam is a sweet gesture, it might not be appropriate if the recipient is diabetic or allergic to certain fruits. One man's pleasure may be another's poison so do your homework.









(For those who can have sweets, this jam from Fruit Garden is my favorite! Available at Bacchus in Rockwell. You may also check out http://www.thefruitgarden.net/ )


As far as time-tested and generic tokens go, a few special touches such as nice wrapping tissue and a heartfelt note make a regular bottle of wine memorable. I once glued on Christmas balls to sinamay bags and to this day my friends remember the packaging more than the actual gift.

Pretty up the packaging but try to keep your gifts simple especially when purchasing non-food items such as decor. Always remember that the goal is to be thoughtful as opposed to tacky; style impositions may not be well-received. Having said that, I've always been more comfortable giving and taking exhaustible gifts such as toiletries and candles over things that I may feel obliged to display but not necessarily like.


There are a number of small, inexpensive items which remind the host of your gratitude long after your stay is over. Things such as refrigerator magnets, coasters, napkin rings, and the like come to mind. A recent guest presented me with low ball glasses after we spent two weeks drinking hard liquor from high balls at my place. Since they are so practical and often used (not always for alcohol), I am reminded of that friend's pleasant stay every time I pull them out of the cupboard.

I shall share more of my favorite products and gifts soon. Meanwhile, I wanna hear about the best host/hostess gifts you've given or received! Have a blessed weekend.


love,
Camille




















3 comments:

  1. totally agree with you on gifts! and you're right...must do homework! anyone bringing me and gabe wine might be disappointed to know that neither of us drink it =p he'd much more appreciate a litro of coke hahaha. not as classy, but hey. best gift? we haven't hosted much to have any, but so far food has been much appreciated ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s.
    you might enjoy this blog =) http://sunday-suppers.blogspot.com/ lots of baking stuff, but also stuff on hosting and gifts and the like

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that link Diane! Just from the name it seems like I will enjoy it. Hope to see you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete