Friday, May 21, 2010

Like everyday is Sunday

Yesterday was just one of those days that I truly live for. It's highlights were a home-cooked lunch, some frozen yogurt, a picnic with some dear old friends, a long walk, a glass of wine, and coming home to spend time with family for the weekend. It was a Friday that felt more like a Sunday... and I mean that in the best (not in a Morrissey song kind of) way.

While most of us don't have the luxury of skipping work for high tea, it is possible to make everyday feel like our favorite day of the week. Let me share some things that will hopefully be as effective for you as they have been for me.

Waking up with a sense of gratitude. Oprah Winfrey has long championed having an attitude of gratitude, and recommends keeping a gratitude journal. Whether we write down or make a mental note of the positive things, it sets the mood for the day. The NLT version of Philippians 4:8 says:

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise".

There are always so much to give the Lord praise for, and I usually start my day by looking out the window and thanking Him for the weather. It doesn't matter if it's hot and bright or a damp and melancholic, I smile and take it all in. Then I begin to thank him for the birds chirping, my cup of coffee, a good night's sleep, etc. The list goes on and it makes me aware of the good things as I proceed with the day.

Having quiet time and worship. For me, time spent reading the word and in prayer and reflection is priceless. There are mornings when I don't feel the need to utter anything so I just soak in His presence and goodness and love. This is the air that my spirit breathes.

Slowing down. A rushed existence usually means confusion: things are forgotten or misplaced, bad judgement calls are made, and stress levels are quick to rise. Slowing down is less about being inefficient and more about completing tasks in a relaxed and graceful manner. We all know what it's like to be unhappy with the mismatched outfit we had to wear to work only because we didn't have time to pick out a better one. This can be prevented by getting your clothes ready the night before or waking up half an hour early to avoid the manic morning feeling. The slow life may require some discipline and foresight but the trade-off is well worth it.

The humorous site www.slowdownnow.org issued a Slow Down Manifesto, part of which states:

"We shall slow down with growing confidence when all those around us are in a shrill state of hyperactivity (signifying nothing). We shall defend our state of calm, whatever the cost may be".

Making time for things you like. By waking up early, you will find that you have the time to squeeze in activities such as breakfast in bed or reading a good novel. Surrounding ourselves with things we love can also give us a constant boost of warm fuzzy feelings, which are good for our immune system. It takes little time to pick a pretty flower and put it by your night stand, or slice some lemons for your water pitcher for a special tangy touch.

Yesterday I spent the better part of the morning listening to my favorite music, from gospel to show tunes to the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack. I do this while folding my laundry or testing a recipe, and it makes doing chores a delight instead of a drudgery. So whether your thing is painting or themed karaoke, I say stop saving it for the weekend. Spread it out over the week so the feeling of satisfaction is spread out as well.

Spending time with the people you love. A lot of my favorite people are part of the family that I was born in, and for that I am truly blessed. I stayed over the family home last night and got to hang out with eight cousins who all came from watching a movie. It meant the world to me that they stopped by to say hello, and that hour or so with them was enough to make my heart glad.

If you feel that you have been too busy to reconnect with the people you love, it is time to make time. Enjoy a slow, nutritious meal share a pot of tea and catch up. Lunch break is a great time to break the monotony of a workday as you can use it to get a sandwich and maybe a pedicure with a friend who works close by. Be intentional about how you spend your time and don't whine about your boss or your work load. And give that person a big hug as you say goodbye!

I am writing this during my lunch hour at work today. And just taking a chance I checked out if the domain name everydaysunday.com was taken. It is and it's the page of a Christian rock band with a song called Gypsy Girl. Coincidence? I think not! And this discovery alone makes my working Saturday feel like a Sunday.








No comments:

Post a Comment